- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onions, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) cans tomatoes, drained and finely chopped
- 1 1/2 lbs large raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- hot cooked rice
- In a small bowl, add the first 12 ingredients; mix well to form a smooth paste; set aside.
- Add oil to a big saucepan; heat over medium heat.
- Add in the onion and garlic; saute about 4 minutes, stirring often, until the onion is translucent.
- Add in the paste and stir for 20 seconds.
- Quickly add the tomatoes and stir; make sure to scrape up the browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Once mixture begins to simmer, lower the heat to low, cover and cook for 15 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add in the shrimp, stir to coat.
- Increase heat to medium-and cook, stirring frequently, for 3 minutes or until the shrimp are pink.
- Add in lemon juice; stir and serve immediately over hot cooked rice.
All images and original content Copyright © 2003 - 2018 Joe Kennedy