Egyptian Fava Bean Dip
- 1 (15 ounce) cans cooked fava beans or 1 1/2 cups cooked fava beans
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin ( but season to your own taste!)
- 1 dash cinnamon ( but season to your own taste!)
- 1 dash clove ( but season to your own taste!)
- 1 dash turmeric ( but season to your own taste!)
- 1 dash cayenne ( but season to your own taste!)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice ( or to taste)
- 1 small potato, peeled and cooked, added when onion is cooking (optional)
- First, cook onion in vegetable oil until limp.
- Add garlic and cook a little.
- Add large chopped tomato and cook until it just starts breaking apart.
- Add spices and lemon juice and stir.
- Add fava beans and salt to taste.
- Leave on low heat for about 15-20 minutes.
- Put in blender and puree until smooth.
- Place in serving dish and drizzle generously with olive oil.
All images and original content Copyright © 2003 - 2017 Joe Kennedy