Irish Soda Bread Muffins
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3/4 cup dried currants or raisins
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder, salt, baking soda and caraway seeds. In another bowl, beat the egg, buttermilk, butter and oil. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in currants.
- 2. Fill greased muffin cups three-fourths full. Sprinkle with remaining sugar. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to wire rack. Serve warm. Yield: 1 dozen.
All images and original content Copyright © 2003 - 2018 Joe Kennedy