Monk's Famous Seafood Chowder
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 8-10 fresh mussels (discard any that are open)
- 1 pint fish stock or clam juice
- 1 pint milk
- 1 pint heavy cream
- ½ lb total mixed fresh diced carrots, diced green beans, peas and corn
- 1 Tbs flour, dissolved in 3-4 Tbs water
- 1 lb mixed fresh fish fillets, such as hake, scrod or salmon, cut into coarse chunks
- ¼ lb fresh shrimp, peeled, deveined and cut crosswise into ½-inch pieces
- Lemon wedges to garnish
Bring 1/4-inch water with a splash of white wine to a boil in a small sauce pan. Add mussels, cover, and steam until just open, about 2-3 minutes. Remove mussels with slotted spoon (discard any that don’t open) and when cool, remove from shells, coarsely chop and set aside.
Combine the fish stock and milk in a large pot and bring to a simmer. Add the mixed vegetables and simmer until just beginning to soften, about 6-8 minutes.
Add the fish and shrimp and simmer until almost cooked through, about 3-4 minutes. Stir in the cream, then slowly stir in the flour/water mixture to thicken. Simmer for 5 minutes to combine flavors.
Add mussels, season to taste with salt and pepper, and serve in soup bowls garnished with a wedge of lemon.
All images and original content Copyright © 2003 - 2017 Joe Kennedy